|Address||2610 Hiji, Hayami District, Oita Prefecture|
|Contact||Hiji Tourist Association|
Hiji Castle was initially built in 1602 by the first Hiji Domain lord, Kinoshita Nobutoshi. The site today serves as Hiji Castle Ruin Park along with its remaining pieces of the stone wall, the moat, and the sugi tree line. A beautiful view of Beppu Bay is captured here. A fresh water is springing out of the bottom of the nearby sea - this has become an ideal habitation for marbled flounders, hence the widely known nickname "Joka (or 'Castle Town') flounders."